Lac Pelletier is a natural lake that was raised approximately 0.6 meters by the construction of a low dam in 1937 which was rebuilt in 1956. The lake was probably named for Norbert Pelletier who homesteaded in this area prior to 1900. The Metis frequented this area before 1900 and continued to hunt and fish here for many years. Xavier Lemire was a Metis who settled with his family on the shores of Lac Pelletier and built a home on the east side of the lake, which is now known as Lemire's Point. He supplied fish to stores in Swift Current, in return for needed supplies. His family continued to make their living from fishing until it became illegal to use a net to catch whitefish. The land was then sold to the Lac Pelletier Regional Park.
The only release of water from Lac Pelletier occurs when water levels reach a wood box culvert that serves as a spillway for the dam. This gate was operated by the PFRA from 1938 to the 1970's when the control was turned over to the Lac Pelletier Regional Park Authority. When released the water eventually runs into the Swift Current Creek via Pelletier Creek.
Lac Pelletier is used primarily for recreation. Lac Pelletier Regional Park was created in 1964 and runs down the east side of the lake and around the south end. There are swimming areas, a year round restaurant and store, playgrounds, camping areas, three public boat launches and many picnic spots. Lac Pelletier has summer cabins, year round homes, youth camps, camping and beaches along its shores. A 9 hole par 35 golf course with watered fairways and grass greens is along the east side of the lake. Two youth camps are situated on the lake, Camp Elim and Camp Lemieux.
Darling's Beach is located on the south side of the lake and has been a favored summer recreation area since 1916. This resort area was started by George Quackenbush. There were boats available for rent, cabins to rent, a dance hall and a bathhouse. The store had a kitchen in the back and a tea room where meals were served. The recreation area had horseshoe pits, ball diamonds and swings for the young. A motor launch that held about 20 people was piloted by a captain and offered a trip around the lake, about seven or eight miles around. During the winter, blocks of ice were cut from the lake to be hauled to the ice house and packed under straw to stay frozen for use in the summer months. In 1925 the resort was moved to seven acres south of the original site. Ted and Beth Darling purchased the resort from George Quackenbush in 1933 and retained ownership until the Regional Park was created in 1964.
Iverson's Park was located at the north end of Lac Pelletier and was started about 1925 when the Iverson brothers planted many poplar trees. Later they built a pavilion and started a resort. Among the recreation offered was boating, swimming, miniature golf, baseball, hiking contests, water sports, fishing, novelty dances, and free swimming lessons to those under fourteen. The resort was named Iverson's Oasis until it was sold in 1945 to become Elim Gospel Beach.
Ona's Beach is on the south end of the lake and has a wonderful beach for children with a long walk to get to deep water. The beach was names for Ona Blanke, wife of Vernon Blanke who donated this area to the park.
The R.M. of Lac Pelletier and a dedicated group of volunteers worked with the local agencies to develop and construct a sewage lagoon for lake residents.
Along the west side of Lac Pelletier is an area of grassland that is owned by the Provincial Government that is leased to livestock producers who graze cattle there. This area will remain as native grass for grazing as there is no development allowed on these government grazing leases.