Jones Creek starts north of Eastend and joins Swift Current Creek on the NW quarter of Section 5 Township 8 Range 20 West of the 3rd Meridian (Co-ordinates 49.622004, -107.686908). This creek flows to the north east and then takes a bend and flows south east to join with Swift Current Creek. The spring that becomes Jones Creek is not as large as that for Swift Current Creek, but it is every bit as clear and fresh. Jones Creek, which flows through Jones Coulee, was named for Henry Jones. He was an early pioneer from England who started ranching here about 1885 and left the area in 1891.
The waters of the creek are necessary for the ranches along the valley. Some of the livestock is watered directly from the creek, as has been done for more than one hundred years. Others have moved to develop remote watering sites, which pump water from the creek to a holding area or directly to a watering tank. This has the advantage of keeping the banks from damage as well as giving clear fresh water to the livestock. Often if livestock are watered directly from the creek, portions of the stream are fenced off to prevent access and allow watering at certain sites only.
The wildlife of the area also require access to the waters of the creek and so will use the designated watering holes or will find the fences of little consequence to them. If the banks are close to springs feeding the creek then the fences are very difficult to put in and even more difficult to maintain, since a post will not stay in the ground.